The Chapel of St. Bonaventure is located within the Royal Monastery. The chapel was restored in 1742 and it was re-dedicated at this stage, having previously been the Chapel of St Esteban (St. Stephen). St. Bonaventure is intriguing, as he was an Italian who later studied in France and became Minister General of the Franciscans, before being chosen as the Archbishop of York. He was never consecrated in this role, but he remains listed as one of the Minster’s Archbishops.
Figures at the base of the chapel.
The chapel’s information board.