Long ago there was a ferry here, connecting what is now Heigham Street with Drayton Road, across the River Wensum. Initially, there were plans at the beginning of the twentieth century to build a roadway at this site, but the levels weren’t right and so a 6-foot wide pedestrian footbridge was installed instead.
At 12 noon on 15 December 1909, Dolphin Bridge was opened by the city mayor Ernest Egbert Blyth.
The views along the River Wensum from the bridge. The bridge takes its name from the nearby Dolphin Inn on Heigham Street, which was the former summer home of Bishop Joseph Hall, the then Bishop of Norwich who saw the puritans attack Norwich Cathedral. This rather grand property was used as an inn from the early seventeenth century and remained as a pub until 1999.
In January 1932, Robert Nelson, a milk roundsman (a lovely word for someone who performed a milk round) from 53, Philadelphia Lane in Norwich was fined 2s 6d for cycling along the footbridge. This does seem slightly harsh, but perhaps they had a wave of cyclists upsetting pedestrians.