Malta – Gozo – St. Lawrence

On our way back to our accommodation in Gharb, we walked through the rather lovely little village of St. Lawrence. Until 1893 this settlement was part of Gharb, but the residents then decided that they wanted their own separate community. All of the villagers had worked together to build the village church which has relics of St. Lawrence built into the foundations. The consecration took place on 21 November 1886, led by the then Bishop of Gozo Peter Pace, who then served as the Titular Archbishop of Rhodes and Bishop of Malta from 1889 until his death in 1914.

One of the quaint little streets in what feels like quite a remote village away from it all. Well, bar all the visitors to the nearby Azure Window Ruins anyway.

And a village information sign.