Fakenham’s parish church is centrally located in the town and there has been a religious building here since Saxon times. The main structure of the church dates to the fourteenth century, with the tower having been added in the fifteenth century.
The bright and open nave. The local newspaper in November 1863 wrote about the church’s extensive restoration and commented that the two aisles were formerly two chapels, the one on the south was dedicated to St. Mary and the one on the north was dedicated to St. Thomas.
The paper added that “the church has a noble appearance externally and it is to be deeply regretted that such a fine edifice well situated on high ground should be hidden by high buildings which stand between it and the public market place, from which it would be so noble a spectacle.
The grand wooden roof which dates from the Victorian restoration.
One of the sculptures within the wooden roof.
The fourteenth century chancel.
The font dates to the fifteenth century, although one of its panels has been removed and it’s thought that this happened at the time of the Reformation.
Some rather colourful kneelers on the Victorian pews.
A memorial to Private William Daniel Blomfield, a local resident who died on active service. He died of illness at Bloemfontein in South Africa during the Boer Wars.