The Fawwara Aqueduct was the country’s second and was designed to transport water between Fawwara and locations such as Luqa, Tarxien, the Three Cities and Zabbar. It was commissioned during the period of Henry Bouverie’s governorship of Malta, a military man who held the role between 1836 and 1843. The aqueduct came into use in 1845 to try and allow water to reach as much of the island as possible.
The aqueduct could transport over 80,000 gallons of water every hour.
The aqueduct and Liam, with the route of the original stone structure being difficult to follow on an overhead map as much of it seems to have been destroyed without trace.