This monument commemorates the life of Stefana Łaszewskiego, a Polish lawyer and politician who also served as the first head of the new Pomeranian Voivodeship in the Second Polish Republic. The Voivodeship, or region, existed only between 1919 and 1939 and its capital city was Torun, in the area that had previously been part of West Prussia.
Łaszewski held the role from 1919 until 1920 and he later went on to become one of the Presidents of the Supreme Administrative Court. The first monument was installed in May 1925, but was destroyed by the Germans soon after they invaded the city in 1939. This current replacement memorial was installed in 1997 and is made of granite with a sandstone tablet in the centre.