This beautiful church dates back to the fifteenth century, although there was a previous thirteenth century church on the same site which was destroyed by fire. It’s the tallest building in Opole and is easily recognisable from its two towers, although these were only added towards the end of the nineteenth century.
The side of the three-naved church.
The main nave, with the size of the current restoration project visible from the work on the left hand side of the church. The restoration has the exciting aim of removing heavy layers of plaster which for centuries have covered the brick walls. This “regothicisation” has the aim of returning the building back to its medieval origins, showing the original fittings which were in the brick walls.
The font is from the fifteenth century.
The pulpit is from 1805.
This is the grave of Stefan Baldy, a priest from this church who served from 1977 until his death in 2003. He made a substantial contribution in terms of offering private assistance to those involved in the solidarity movement in the early 1980s and he also made public announcements against martial law in the country.
In 1999, the city gave him the ‘Merit to the City of Opole’ award and Pope John Paul II awarded him the title of ‘Honorary Chaplain of His Holiness’.