Martham’s war memorial is located in the churchyard of St. Mary’s Church and was erected here in 1920, designed by F Perfitt of Stalham. It commemorated the 41 people from the area who were killed during the First World War, noting:
“To the glory of God, the giver of victory and in memory of those of this parish who gave their lives for us in the Great War 1914 to 1919”.
The 41 names are:
The Yarmouth Independent reported on 24 July 1920:
“With all fitting circumstance and solemnity, Martham’s War Memorial was dedicated on Sunday afternoon. Glorious summer weather shone upon the ceremony. Remarkably impressive proceedings were heralded by a muffled peal on the church bells. A large number of ex-servicemen paraded on the Green, and marched to church, under the command of QMS Sumser. A troop of Boy Scouts from Winterton, under the lead of Scoutmaster Dyble, attended and assisted the police in keeping the entrance to the church. The beautiful church was crowded, even standing room being unavailable, and many remained in the churchyard.
The names of the forty brave men and one noble young woman who made the supreme sacrifice were read out by Archdeacon Lisle Carr, vicar of Yarmouth, who also gave a touching and hopeful address, expressing the deep debt of gratitude to those who had fallen in a great cause, and also to those who had returned, and heartfelt sympathy with the relatives and friends of the departed, urging the thought of ‘what they had gone to’ rather than ‘what they had gone from’, and the inspiration to duty and noble sacrifice which the cross in the churchyard should be to both the present and future generations”.
A further ten names were added to the memorial following the end of the Second World War, the names being:
Beryl Applegate (a young air-raid victim)