Leek – Market Cross

Leek’s five-metre high Market Cross is post-medieval and probably dates to around the sixteenth century. Nearly every market would have once had one of these crosses although many have been lost, damaged or altered over the centuries. The plinth of the cross is nineteenth century and there have been later repairs to the entire cross.

The market cross was moved from its current location to Cemetery Road in 1806 and it remained there until 1986 when a decision was made to return it.