Camping – Day 1 (Eyam – St. Lawrence’s Church – Sundial)

This is the sundial (click on the image to see a larger version) on the wall of St. Lawrence’s Church in Eyam, which was installed here in 1775. It’s supported by two stone corbels and was likely made by William Shaw, a local man. It’s not the most subtle of sundials given its size, but no-one could miss a church service and claim that they didn’t know the time.

The below photo shows how the sundial looked in 1919 and it’s also noticeable that the ivy has wisely been removed from the church, which avoided any similar incidents to Crostwright Church….