The Church of St. Anthony is the oldest standing church in its original form which is left in Bucharest, dating back to the 1550s and constructed on the site of a wooden church. It has though been through the wars a little (including literally when the Turks attacked) and with a restoration in 1847 following a major fire which damaged much of Bucharest’s central area.
The building looks relatively modern, mainly due to some recent cleaning and there were also restorations in 1914 and between 1928 to 1935 which reverted the church back to something more like its original appearance.
The church’s facade.
A fine entrance portal which dates to 1715.
The church was busy with worshippers, so it didn’t feel appropriate to walk around it and disturb other people. It was a grand interior though, but also homely and with a strong sense of community.